Saturday, February 20, 2010

My perspective on Revelation

I haven't been able to connect with a lot of you guys, I'm kind of still getting used to this new season of life and I haven't been able to settle down yet. So I've been trying to do some writing lately, and one of the songs I wrote called "God Send" has had a lot of success and to be quite honest it's been very overwhelming for me. When I say overwhelming I mean that watching a song that I wrote move people to be better and make better decisions is an extremely humbling experience. For those who have heard the song and fall under this category, thank you for responding to the call of God. It's totally an honor to be doing what I do!

Anyway, lately I've been trying to write a lot more, and it's honestly been very difficult! I've recorded and trashed about six demos, and thrown away A BUNCH of yellow pads, and haven't had too much success. Mainly because my motivation was the fear of becoming a "one hit wonder"(I'd HARDLY call "God Send" a hit). But the past couple months, I've become an Uncle, and watching my family change and grow has given me a chance to rethink why I do what I do. I don't write songs to write songs so I can feel good, I write songs because I have passions and thoughts that I can put to song and melody that I feel can inspire and move people to do more than the ordinary, but do EXTRAORDINARY things! That's my call, that's what I was born to do, and whether I like that or not, I'm gonna do my best!

The past month I've been reading the book of Revelations, which is something I honestly wasn't looking forward too. I hate how most scholars try to interpret it as if there trying to read a christian fortune cookie or look into a crystal ball. I've always thought that was irrelevant, but I came to realize that it really IS relevant! I read through Chapter 21, and it talks about a vision of heaven coming down to earth in which God is releasing our sorrows and doubts, and replacing it with Hope(vs. 4-10) Then I realized something, what are we waiting for? If God lives inside of us, why can't we strive to bring heaven to earth through our Church. This chapter states that the church is the Bride of Christ, and if respected our churches like a lot of people respect there own spouse, then church's would be the closest thing to "Heaven on Earth". If we really looked at the church as the "Bride of Christ" we would do everything we could to make her beautiful, and make sure the church is serving the groom, who is Jesus, and Jesus specifically states that he lives in the [widows, orphans, needy, poor, hopeless, hungry, lost, ect.]. To ask the question "What if the Bride loved The Groom" in this case is to ask "What if the CHURCH was MADLY in love with [widows, orphans, needy, poor, hopeless, hungry, lost, ect.]"? That idea has been shaking my bones violently. That's why I CHOSE to write songs like this rather than write love songs or break-up songs, or pop songs.

All that to say, I've been writing a couple songs from these meditations on the book of Revelation, and my goal for the next year is to do the best I can to inspire people to attempt to bring "Heaven on Earth" and also do the same myself, and the best way I can to that is to write these tunes!

So stay tuned people! I'll keep you updated! I'll probably be starting an ACTUAL blog this year! just to help me put my thoughts down more than anything!

love you guys!
~dl

No comments:

Post a Comment