Saturday, February 20, 2010

Jesus Simons

Just got off the phone with one of my best friends who is a worship leader! and I really wanted to share something for other musicians and writers. This is WONDERFUL!!!

Working on the Music staff at a church can FEEL LIKE the BEST and the WORST jobs you can do! It's the BEST job in the world because your doing music for a living, and your music is DEFINITELY making an impact, which most people would argue is best place to be in life (I'm definitely one of those people!).

It can be the WORST job in a sense that you REALLY SEE HOW OPINIONATED AND INSENSITIVE CHURCH PEOPLE CAN BE! In EVERY church big or small, there is a group of people who are just CONSTANTLY critical! Not only are they CONSTANTLY CRITICAL, but in the church, they feel as though they are being CRITICAL IN THE NAME OF GOD. In there own minds, there "Simon Cowell-like" opinions are furthering the kingdom of God.

I call these people "Jesus-Simon's".

As funny as that sounds, thats just the UGLY truth about working with PEOPLE! I understand that it's not really fair to say that this is a church problem, but is IS fair to say that church's are made up of imperfect people.

This blog entry ISN'T for "Jesus-Simon's", in fact I actually LOVE having "Jesus-Simon's" around! Personally, I enjoy the challenge of getting there cranky butts to focus on God rather than there own narcissistic opinions (I make it a game and actually keep score).

This blog is for people who ACTUALLY serve in church's and who undoubtedly deal with this pressure ALL THE TIME!!! The fact of the matter is, hearing those opinions DO affect us, and people that say it doesn't are being dishonest with themselves.

Here's the BEST NEWS!!!

Peoples OPINIONS ARE AND ALWAYS WILL BE COMPLETELY OBJECTIVE!!! When it comes to your taste and ability in music, there really is no such thing as a COMPLETELY right answer, which is infuriating at times if you want to please people!

Here's the beautiful thing: we're not trying to appease the "Jesus-Simon's" of the church. We're in it to help people experience the PRESENCE of GOD!!! Thats good news for me because it mean's I don't have to be Liberacci on piano in order to carry the presence of God. God can use a donkey to speak to a prophet, so he can definitely use my less than spectacular musical abilities to speak to people!

That doesn't mean you shouldn't do your best, because you SHOULD! What I AM saying is that you shouldn't try and be someone your not just because a "Jesus-Simon" doesn't like the flavor your cooking. Unlike "Jesus-Simon's", God will use us IN SPITE of our shortcomings.

Psalm 7:8
Let the LORD judge the Peoples,
Judge me O LORD according to my righteousness,
according to my Integrity, O Most High

Who cares what the "Jesus-Simon's" say. God is the judge of everything, and he judges righteousness and integrity. Trying to appease overly critical opinions isn't living with Integrity if those opinions aren't genuine to who you are.

Be the best at being who YOU are, and God will use you! That's the promise he gives to us as worshipers.


Here's a great story:

One time a guy told me I was acting too sexual on stage, so the next week I played I looked for him and prayed "God, mess him up like you've messed me up". During that worship set God showed up and answered that prayer, and at the same time really messed me up! I LOVE that!

No comments:

Post a Comment